Wednesday 15 April 2015

list - Changing method of data entry based on number of selections -


This is more than a philosophical question, and most likely I can bet that there are many different opinions - I want to get input about all your thoughts.

Assume a large database with many different types of variables and many different types of "data" which will go into those variables. Assuming a "boolean" value 1/0, yes / no, true / false, male / female - I often use checkboxes or radio buttons - rarely if there is an option list.

Possibilities for the "medium size" list (names of 5 people, names of different cars, etc.) I often use selection lists - although I use a selection list for all 50 states Have done

For large / long lists I will go to a jQuery AutoComplete list, with local data (non-server).

I have questions from you:

  1. Do you have a different perspective to choose the method for data input?
  2. Do you have a special "number" element, on which you can get a selection from a Utocomplete?

    Because it will depend mostly on the application I'm building. Some applications already have some input methods, in this situation I often like the continuity of alternate methods that may be better suited but make the app more chaotic.

    My approach to new applications is very similar. Boolean often has checkboxes or radio buttons but selection lists are not uncommon. For more choices, selection lists are also my favorites. When I have a lot There is a bigger form with all the selection lists, so to keep the bullets in the selection lists as well as to keep the form stable. A check box may look a bit awkward after having a bunch of selection lists.

    Long list depends on the content, if a search by typing improves the user experience, an auto-complete list is often a good option. Whenever you type, most browsers will jump to the right selection list item, so I do not always see the use for auto completion when users usually type the first few letters of the item.

    Too long lists for this, I've also created a few server queries to fulfill myself. For example, joining one of 10000+ stamps in this case, before searching a key-event Having a slight delay can prevent large server loads from occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment