Thursday 15 September 2011

VB.NET and SQL Server Express application deployment -


I have developed an application using VB.NET and used SQL Server Express as database back end. is. There are 5 user profiles in the application. (Each user profile provides different services).

Deployment Reqiurements: The app has to be deployed on a LAN with 10-20 machines. Any user profile can be accessed from any machine. Any changes in database entries should be visible on all machines.

How do I achieve this deployment? According to my research:

1. The database should be deployed on a machine. This machine will serve as database server.

My problem: I am familiar with reaching the database on the local machine, but how to access the remote database? Is the connection string the only thing that needs to be addressed or is there any other issue? Do I need to install SQL Server on all machines or only on server machine? Do I have to deal with concurrency issues (many users are accessing the same data simultaneously in the same way) or is it controlled by the database engine?

2. The app can be deployed in two ways: i. Store executable on a shared network drive on the server. Providing shortcuts to each machine's desktop. Ii. Store yourself executable on each machine.

My problem: how does approach 1 work? (An example of a qualified executable on many machines: s) In Approach 2, changes in database entries will appear properly on all machines? In Approach 2, if there is any change in the application, then is there any way to update it on all machines? (Besides rebuilding it on each machine) Which approach is better? Do I Need To Install NET Framework All Machines?

Do I have to make any other system changes (firewall, security, permissions)? If there is an option to install the operating system on each machine, which version of Windows is better for such an application environment?

This is my first time deploying multi-user database application on a network. Any suggestions / suggestions, references, etc. will be very grateful for. Question 1: You will need to create the roles of SQL Server for each 'profile'. I will assign one or more or those 'roles' to the given user assigned one or more roles to each of your tables, ideas, stored procedures and triggers It's a messy business, that's why DBA gets lots of money in the lounge around most of the time (I'm joking I'm, I'm not voting). Question 2: If you find 'Server in Remote' on the server, you will get a server screen, which is much less than the workstation presentation. Read on 'One click', it gives you the ability to locate an updated application on a host, and automatically deploy updates to the user's machine. Whenever you decide to do something every time, you get rid of dirty business instead of running around 20 machines to upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment