Sunday 15 February 2015

Home automation for software enginners using Arduino -


I want to make my own Smart Home Automation because I'm a software engineer and have not had the chance to play with the hardware, I think this is a great time to play with some low-level goods.

I've read a lot about the hardware programming (I work with C for software programming, in case of need and basic knowledge found in the ASM) and I think that I would like Ardino / Should go with raspberry pie because they are the easiest hardware to start working with electronics. I have started using the Arduino starter kit and I know how to control the LEDs etc. But now I want to contact the room's electrics, air condition etc. and I'm looking for some information about this. Theoretically, I will create a WiFi gradient on the Arduino device and make the simple REST API. After this, I will make an iOS and Android application for communication with this API.

I am looking for information on the aspect of electricity: - How do I wire Arduino in the light of the room? - Should I need an Ardino microcontroller for any electrical input which I would like to control (and also the WiFi shield? This will not cost too much?)

I have to note that in the case It's really complex for a person who does not know much about electricity, I do not feel like using any other hardware which can reduce the process. The purpose is to be able to just a smart home program.

Your questions are quite broad, but I will try to answer you

  • How can I wire Arduino into the light of the room? You need to use either the mosset component or relay is the easiest relay. Normally, you drive a relay with a simple BC337 NPN transistor . What does all this mean? All this has been explained on it.

    But be careful, playing with electricity in fact can be dangerous.

    If you want to make a light molder, things will be slightly more complex in the digital controlled triangular, or digital controlled potentiometer (for less current).

    • Will I need an Arduino microcontroller for any power input (and also wifi shield? Is it not worth the price too much?)

      Depending on it, there is no complete answer for it. You can use your own arduins (or even ATTiny, which is cheaper) of each switch , Or you can put a microcontroller in a set of switches on a set. It is up to you how your switches are arranged at your place, and how you can design your system to better fit your needs.

      The best option is taking control of the Imho, "State switches" (you know the switch, where you push once, it turns on, and is closed twice). On those people who can control all your lights from your electricity board, depending on the manufacturer of your device, they can be controlled by 5V, 12V or 20V impulses. So an instrument on the board of electricity and you are all set. But those switches need to give a new look to the light circuit in your home ...

No comments:

Post a Comment